Thursday, February 16, 2012

thrifty find

On a recent trip to Goodwill I came across this giant gold mirror with pretty curvy lines. Now I've noticed lately that the Goodwill by my house has a nasty habit of marking up mirrors to a premium but I decided it was worth the effort to move a few things out of the way and look for a price on the back. The tag read $15.99, ok I'm listening... any cracks or scratches to the glass? Nope. Frame in good shape? Yup. Even better I saw that the back panel was screwed on as opposed to glued or taped so I knew it would be easy disassemble and paint the frame. Of course I had no idea where I would put it but since I'm a total furniture hoarder (you should see our garage) that didn't matter. 

Unfortunately I didn't have the forethought to take a before picture but just imagine it in a brushed gold color with little black splatters. I sprayed the frame with KILZ primer spray paint and then painted it white and added a little glaze to bring out some definition- all supplies we had hanging out in the garage already. It ended up finding a new home in our foyer and is almost 3 x's the size of the old mirror that preceded it. We can't believe the difference in light and airiness it brings! 



and just to keep it real, we may be shoe hoarders too...



I'm pretty happy about how it turned out and for $15.99 if we grow tired of it down the road we don't have to feel bad about changing things up. 

Hope you guys are having a great week, I can't believe it's almost Friday. I'll do a Pinspiration Friday tomorrow because to be totally honest I spaced it today. Oh well, such is life. =)

2 comments:

  1. Don't you love not being perfect? I do!! I'm your newest imperfect follower-stop by for a visit!!

    ReplyDelete