Monday, January 9, 2012

new year, a little organization


I have a small space in the house reserved just for "my stuff." It's located in the closet of the kids playroom. {pssst I can't wait to one day take over the whole room} But since that's years and years away I figured I may as well make the most of what I've got for now. As you can see from the before photo I had the whole back wall that was screaming for some storage.




I started by painting the wall "ballet white" by Benjamin Moore. I also took a trip to Lowes and bought three wood brackets and a stair tread of all things for the shelf. {the tread was the perfect size and I liked it's finished rounded front edge} After whitewashing all the pieces they were hung and more storage was born!



I picked up a small linen ribbon board from Michaels.



Pens, pencils, brushes and cutting instruments found their way up high safely away from tiny hands.



The new shelf space above the desk helped to unclog my side shelves.



The white boxes from IKEA hold things like glitter, glues, stamps, punches, ribbons and paints. The white can on the floor is filled with fabric remnants and yarn. 



All in all it feels like a fresh start and I can actually find the things I need a little bit faster. It cost me around $50 including the shelf and items from IKEA. 

Happy Monday and cheers to a new week!


15 comments:

  1. I love it! It looks amazing with the white and grey. My favorite colors. Very classic and elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a organized way to start the week. I'm lovin' every details in here.
    buy aion account

    ReplyDelete
  3. It turned out great. I have just taken over a whole room...lucky me and am just in the process of placing all my stuff in a proper place. You've given me some wonderful ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am seriously in love! You did a great job. I can't wait to see it in person!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! A lovely use of space. I wish I could get my act together to organize all my craft supplies. Sigh. Someday... Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It turned out great! Like it very much. Visiting from My Romantic Home!

    ReplyDelete
  7. very pretty - crisp & fresh & clean - I'm also in the process of redoing my little craft nook & I just put a pennant on the shelf like you did (great minds think alike I guess) very very pretty!

    http://northerncottage.blogspot.com/2012/01/northern-cottage-party-time-tuesday2.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. looks great. I am in the process of converting a closet to my creative space too. Great organization

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an incredible transformation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, looks terrific! I am sure you love it and are very proud!
    Thank you for sharing!
    Leticia

    ReplyDelete
  11. that looks awesome! so clean and organized! don't you just love ikea for organization? hopping over from rene's!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks great!! I have a closet office too & love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like the clean look of your workspace now. Isn't it amazing how much vertical storage can be added. Using pretty containers like milk glass makes the every day stuff seem special.

    Thanks so much for joining the party!
    -René

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this space! It may be small, but it's calm, tidy and pretty! Great job! Found you through Cottage and Vine.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a great space. I really like the look of the new paint, too.

    ReplyDelete