Thursday, August 2, 2012

why we are the way we are


I know I have my mother to thank for my love of hunting for, buying and redoing furniture. One of my favorite memories from childhood is the time my mom saved a bright orange upright piano that was landfill bound. She brought it home and painstakingly stripped off layer after layer of paint. She then refinished it in a beautiful dark walnut stain and called for a piano professional to come to the house and tune it. It was so beautiful when it was done and she taught me how to play "Fur Elise" on it. {that is  still the only thing I know how to play} It was a great lesson engrained in me though. She could have never afforded to go out and buy a new piano but for the cost of some paint stripper and stain and many long hours out in the garage she got just what she wanted. 

The hutch below that sits in my kitchen was lovingly salvaged the same way for my mom by her own parents. This is one of my favorite pieces in our home because I know how much love went into restoring it. It's one of the few things I can promise you will never meet a bucket of white paint. 



Have a beautiful Thursday!

Sarah

1 comment:

  1. That's so sweet Sarah! By the way, Fur Elise was the first thing I taught myself to play on the piano. How weird is that? The 2nd thing was Amazing Grace.

    ReplyDelete