Monday, February 1, 2010

hall closet before & after

It's totally embarrassing to admit it but I'm pretty confident I'm not the only one that has a horrible secret like the one below.


From top to bottom there really isn't an excuse for what this hall coat closet was hiding. It concealed everything from seasonal decor, table runners, crafts in addition to the given scarfs, hats gloves, coats etc...




The solution: A fresh coat of paint inside, shoe organizer on the door, I sprung for new wooden hangers, a floor shoe rack and a galvanized storage tub up top. The details including the total cost of the project are at the bottom.






I started by emptying everything out and finding new homes for things that did not belong. I then went on the hunt for new wood coat hangers. I found a value box of 20 at Bed, Bath and Beyond for $12.99 and of course had one of their handy 20% coupons to boot. Next I found a door shoe holder for $7.99. I chose clear so we could see everything easily. I secured it to the closet door all the way around with heavy duty Velcro. I also painted the inside of the closet with leftover paint we had in the garage. The overflow like super heavy scarves that wouldn't fit in door holder are in the tin tub on the top shelf (the tub was just sitting empty in the garage not being used). Lastly the shoe rack on the floor was added- it too was re-purposed from another closet where it wasn't being utilized. The entire project cost me less than $20 to do and I finished it all in one day. I'm proud to say that 3 weeks later and it still looks this good too!!!

2 comments:

  1. Great job! I love the blue paint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - it looks so good. I'll bet you keep opening the door to take another peek at it :). Great job! And thanks for linking up to my party.

    ReplyDelete